Whakatōhea Research & Archives Trust
Welcome to the Whakatōhea Research and Archives Trust. Our enthusiastic and highly skilled team share a passion for providing inspirational displays of historical and culturally significant treasures, for our future generations to learn and pass on.
Tānewhirinaki’s Meeting House
The Tānewhirinaki Meeting-house was opened in 1886, at Waioeka pa in the 1920’s, however today it no longer stands. The carvings on display are those that were brought back from the Auckland Museum and the complete collection stands at Ngāti Ira Marae. The first meeting –house stood at Waioeka pa. It was named Tānewhirinaki after the eldest son of Muriwai, ancestress of Whakatōhea.
Te Whare Taonga o te Moana a Toi
The Trust holds an extensive collection of archive materials which include Taonga Māori, social history, photography and historical documents from the Ōpōtiki district and the eastern Bay of Plenty region.
Maintain important relationships within local community contributes their time immensely, hard work goes in to maintaining the artifacts and exhibits. The trust are supported by the following organisations: